I am a gigantic smoothie addict and will drink one to two a day year round, but often times in the winter it can be mighty tough to drink a cold smoothie when the temperature outside is 25 degrees. I’ve even attempted to eat something warm in the morning like overnight oats but for me it’s just not as satisfying as a beautiful vitamin and mineral rich smoothie. That’s why my favorite remedy for the winter cold is putting heat into my smoothie. No I don’t mean I heat up my kale smoothie, that would be disgusting. Actually I add in heat inducing ingredients like ginger and jalapeno to give my body a warm boost.
My favorite smoothie as of late (cue sub-zero temperatures) has been my Spicy Green Smoothie. While jalapeno may not be to everyone’s taste like it is mine you can always double up the ginger to still get that warming feeling in the morning.
The ingredients in this smoothie are super rich in minerals, enzymes and vitamins making it the perfect breakfast smoothie to add a little pep in your step. And the Tahini gives the consistency a smooth (no pun intended), creamy consistency.
Nutritional Benefits –
- Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B-6, Magnesium, Iron
- Potassium, Vitamin C, Phosphorus, Folate
- Potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B-6, Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin K
- Protein, Potassium, Folate, Choline, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Phosphorus
- Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B-6, Magnesium, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Calcium
- Vitamin A, Niacin, Folate, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Iron, Magnesium, Sodium
- Folate, Vitamin C, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium
- B1, B2, B, C, D, E, Iron, Potassium, Copper, Magnesium, Selenium, Phosphorus, Calcium
- Protein, Niacin, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc
- 1 cup homemade almond milk (recipe here)
- 2 leaves of kale w/ stems
- 1/2 green apple
- 1/2 pear
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1-2 slices of jalapeno (dependent on taste)
- handful cilantro with stems
- lime juice from half a lime
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 inch of ginger
- 1 tablespoon tahini